Sunday, April 15, 2012

Library Time!

Hello everyone!

So I know I haven't written about the books I have been reading in a while because I have actually just been reading 1 book!

In the past two weeks, I have been reading the same book Bel Canto by Ann Patchett.  I tried to read The Healing (like I wrote in my previous post), but I just couldn't seem to get into it.  So I decided to move onto Bel Canto.  It was a difficult read - it took me two weeks (around 300 pages) - but what a PHENOMENAL book.

It's about a party that is held hostage by terrorists somewhere in South America.  There is a mixture of culture all over - Russia, Italy, Japan, Spanish, English...so many differently languages trying to communicate in one story.  There is suspense and -believe it or not - romance as well.  The reason why all of these people are at this party is to celebrate the birthday of a very important businessman from Japan.  His favorite Soprano opera singer was asked to come sing for the party, even though she normally doesn't do private engagements.  They have all come to this party to see her perform.  And there the story begins.

I say it is a must read - even though it might be difficult - the way Ann Patchett writes how the individuals communicate in all the different languages - by silence or by an interpreter - it's genius.

Next book on the list is The Pact by Jodi Picoult.  I have heard it is a great book!

Happy Reading!
xoxo Sarah


No comments :

Post a Comment