Monday, May 14, 2012

Black Bean Soup with Avacado Salsa

Happy Monday everyone!

I hope you all had a wonderful Mother's Day!  I was able to visit my mom Saturday night after wedding season began for Zachary and I - the first of 3 that we are in.  I had my friend Morgan's bridal shower on Saturday.  It was a BEAUTIFUL Luncheon - more pics on that soon as well as Mother's Day.

But first, yesterday for lunch, I saw this recipe on Food & Wine's website, I said to myself - I have to try this!

It was delicious.  So easy to make too!

Here is the recipe:

INGREDIENTS:
6 cups drained and rinsed canned black beans (three 19-ounce cans)
4 cups canned low-sodium chicken broth or homemade stock
2 tablespoons cooking oil
1 onion, chopped
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 cup dry sherry
1 teaspoon fresh-ground black pepper
2 avocados, preferably Hass, cut into 1/2-inch dice
1/4 cup chopped cilantro or flat-leaf parsley
6 radishes, halved and sliced thin

2 tablespoons lime juice


  1. DIRECTIONS: 
  2. 1. Combine 3 cups of the beans and 1 cup of chicken broth in a blender or food processor and puree until smooth.
  3. 2. In a large saucepan, heat the oil over moderate heat. Add the onion and 1 teaspoon of the salt and cook, stirring frequently, until the onion is soft, about 5 minutes. Increase the heat, add the sherry, and boil until reduced to approximately 1/4 cup, about 3 minutes.
  4. 3. Add the bean puree, 1/2 teaspoon of the pepper, and the remaining 3 cups of chicken broth and 3 cups of beans. Simmer until hot, about 5 minutes.
  5. 4. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the avocados, cilantro, radishes, lime juice, and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon each of salt and pepper. Mix gently. Spoon the soup into bowls and top with the salsa.

***Note:  I let the soup simmer for more than five minutes to bring down the water level.  Just a little hint so it thickens up more!




The picture doesn't do it justice, but it is delicious.  If you would like to see it on the "Food & Wine" website, click HERE.


Enjoy!!
xoxo Sarah


No comments :

Post a Comment